The lions in the Kalahari, including Tswalu Kalahari Private Game Reserve are known as black-maned lions. Here are 5 things you didn’t know about black-maned lions:
- The darker the mane, the more attractive the male is to lionesses
- Male lions with darker manes tend to have higher levels of testosterone
- Research has indicated that in populations where both dark and lighter-maned males occur, the darker-maned males have a higher chance of surviving injuries
- Cubs born to females covered by dark-maned males tend to have a higher chance of survival
- Mane colour appears to be linked to the health of an individual – the darker the mane the healthier the individual.
Dylan Smith is head of the Dedeben Research Centre at Tswalu